Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT)
Physiotherapy is a type of medical science which is used to improve movement dysfunctions, to promote the functions of human body and optimal health. Physiotherapy is an important part of rehabilitation dedicated to minimize disability among people. It involves the maintenance, assessment, restoration of the physical functions and body performance. Physiotherapy is mainly recommended for the physically challenged people, the people suffering from degenerative disorders like arthritis, neurological disorders and sports persons. It is one of the rapidly growing areas of medicine that involves heat radiations, massages, tractions, hydrotherapy and short wave diathermy (SWD).
The growing awareness of the role of Physiotherapy can play in enabling the physically challenged people to lead productive lives has also increased the demand for trained professionals. Once one has some clinical experience a specialization may be selected among any areas, such as orthopaedics, sports, neurology, cardiopulmonary, obstetrics or working with older people.
These are full time programs comprising of lectures, tutorials, demonstrations, computer knowledge, personality development, documentation and practical training/internship.
The multi disciplinary curriculum will comprise of core modules related to a foundation course in:
- Basic and para medical sciences
- Cardio Respiratory
- Community Based Rehabilitation
- Neuro Physiotherapy
- Ortho Physiotherapy
- Sports Physiotherapy
- Cardio Physiotherapy
- Research Methodology
- Clinical Posting with six month of compulsory internship
Sr. Secondary (10+2) with Biology or Life Sciences as one of the subjects with minimum 45% marks Minimum age should be 17 years.
Career and Placement
Physiotherapists may find work in various fields such as Centers for physically and mentally challenged people, Community health centers, Industries, Government hospitals, Mental health centers, Nursing homes or private care centers, Private and public hospitals, Private practices, Rehabilitation centers, Sports clinics and fitness centers, and Universities/Colleges.
Physiotherapists may also find work as specialist researchers, advisers or consultants with research centers or in private industry. More experienced and qualified practitioners later find employment opportunities in administration and management, or as directors of major research projects and facilities. With increased emphasis on sports and fitness and with greater awareness of occupational health and safety, aged care, and the needs of disabled people, further opportunities will also continue to emerge for people with training in physiotherapy to contribute to community Education programs. After completing Masters degree in Physiotherapy one may join any College/University as a Lecturer, then Assistant Professor after three years of teaching experience and then higher posts as per the experience.
In India, Physiotherapy is a flourishing career option. One may select different fields of Physiotherapy as an employment option e.g. clinical, teaching, or research or all the areas. They are also employed in the schools for mentally retarded and physically challenged children, defense medical establishments and rehabilitation centers. The physiotherapists can get excellent jobs in countries like USA, Australia, and Canada. Thus the scope of a Physiotherapy career is quite vast. All the major hospitals have a Physiotherapy Department and they employ Physiotherapists as an indispensable part of their organization.
One of the emerging fields of Physiotherapy is Sports as awareness of sports has been increased everywhere in the world. A Sports Physiotherapist may work in any sports club, sports team and start his/her own clinic. There is tremendous scope for Physiotherapists to continue to develop their skills and expertise through further courses in areas such as manipulation, sports injuries, pediatrics and mental illness. As compared to other paramedical professions, employment opportunities for physiotherapists are excellent, as this is a career where the demand exceeds supply.
Guidelines for Admissions
- Pre-qualification examination criteria for the Under Graduate programs is Class 12th from any of the recognized boards of India. For foreign nationals, the pre qualification for the Under Graduate programs is a certificate equivalent to Class 12th examination of the country and meeting the equivalence criteria of ‘Association of Indian University’.
- Pre-qualification criteria for the Post Graduate programs is graduation from any recognized university in India. For foreign nationals, the pre-qualification criteria for the Post Graduate programs is degree awarded by a University in a particular country and meeting the equivalence criteria of ‘Association of Indian Universities’.
- Applicants who have appeared for their final year graduation examinations in year 2015 may also apply for admission to Post Graduate program.
- The University reserves its rights to judge the capability of a candidate through GD/PI before final admission.
- TOEFL/IELTS is compulsory for foreign nationals who do not have English as primary language in teaching and examination.
- To qualify for admission in Sharda University in its Under Graduate program, the applicants must complete 17 years of age on 31st December of the academic year in which they are seeking admission.
About the School
Sharda University is established through UP State Act in 2009 and approved by University Grants Commission of India (UGC). It is situated in Greater Noida, Delhi NCR, 27 km from New Delhi, spread over ... Read More