Phlebotomy and ECG Technician Diploma American National University
Phlebotomy + ECG Program. Phlebotomists are in Demand.
Phlebotomists are Vital Members of Clinical Lab Teams
A career in Phlebotomy has been rated one of U.S. News and World Report’s "Best Jobs"!
Phlebotomists draw blood from patients or donors in hospitals, blood banks, or health facilities for analysis and medical use. The Phlebotomy/ECG Program1 at ANU is designed to prepare students for entry-level careers as a phlebotomist and/or ECG technician. In this program, you will also learn to perform diagnostic tests to assess a patient’s heart rhythm and rate and record the electrocardiogram (ECG). These two skills are key components of working in medical support at most healthcare facilities.
The Phlebotomist + ECG program prepares students to sit for the National Certified Phlebotomy Technician (NCPT) and National ECG Technician (NCET) exams administered by the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT). With preparation for these certifications and hands-on experience in labs and externships, students in this program gain the knowledge and real-world experience needed to succeed in this career.
Your Learning Experience
As a student in the Phlebotomy/ECG Program you will learn how to:
- Perform basic phlebotomy procedures, including drawing blood, proper disposal of needles and containers, maintaining a sterile environment, etc.
- Perform an electrocardiogram (ECG) and interpret cardiac rhythms and dysrhythmias
- Conduct patient interviews and take vital signs
- Adhere to the safety standards and ethical practices as a Phlebotomist within a healthcare facility
Phlebotomists are in high demand, according to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics, with a 25% growth rate in 2024! This program prepares students for entry-level work in the medical field and provides an excellent basis for advancement to associate’s degrees in health science, such as medical assisting.
Why American National University?
- Convenience and flexibility – With day and evening classes¹ you have the flexibility to work as you earn your degree.
- Personal attention – You’re not just a face in a crowd, our small class sizes allow for personal attention from instructors.
- Career professionals as instructors – With current and relevant curricula, you will learn from instructors with real-world field experience who will guide and mentor you.
- Career services – Our career services team starts to help you before you graduate with your resume, cover letters, interviewing techniques and how to search for great career opportunities.
- Alumni benefits – Our support doesn’t end at graduation, as an alumnus you will have access to our career services and refresher² courses available throughout your career.
¹While widely available, not all courses are available at all class times or offered every term. Check with a University Student Services representative.
²Refresher training is tuition-free for qualified students. Additional costs such as lab fees, books, and supplies are the responsibilities of the student. Retraining is limited to the program from which the student graduated and is subject to space available.