ScM in Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health
USD 59,184 / per year *
Earliest start date
* additional fees may apply. Scholarships are available
The two-year Master of Science Program (ScM) is designed for students preparing for Ph.D. programs or considering upper-level research positions in academia, government, or industry.
The degree is constructed to provide students with a capacity to perform independent research and a firm understanding of research principles and practices.
In addition to the required coursework, ScM students conduct one or two laboratory rotations, take a written comprehensive examination at the conclusion of the first year, complete original research under the guidance of a faculty mentor, write a research-based thesis, and present the research in a seminar.
Required schoolwide courses:
- 550.860 Academic and Research Ethics
- Cells to Society Course Series
Select two of four core MMI courses:
- 260.852 Fundamental Virology
- 260.627 Pathogenesis of Bacterial Infections
- 260.635 Biology of Parasitism
- 260.650 Vector Biology
Required ScM immunology course:
- 260.631.01 Immunology, Infection, and Disease
Select one of the following literature courses:
- 260.852: Molecular Biology Literature
- 260.657: Vector Biology and Disease Ecology
- 260.854: Current Literature in Microbial Immunity
- 260.855: Pandemics of the 20th Century
The remaining credits are flexible and may be individualized based on the student’s interests and career aspirations. Students may take courses offered in MMI or in other departments within and outside of the School.
Credits may also be earned for Special Studies conducted one-on-one with Department faculty. Examples of courses taken by current and former students include:
- Statistical Reasoning
- Topics in AIDS Research
- Principles of Epidemiology
- Evolution of Infectious Diseases
- Introduction to Molecular Biology
- Vaccine Development and Application
- Graduate Immunology
- Advanced topics in AIDS Research