Associate of Science in
Associate of Science in Respiratory Therapy Mt. San Antonio College
The Respiratory Therapy Program, which is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (COARC), is designed to train students to function as Respiratory Therapists.
Respiratory Therapy is the application of technical skills involving a complete understanding of cardiopulmonary physiology and recognition of various pathological conditions that alter the patient’s ability to breathe effectively.
By applying medical gases under pressure - i.e., compressed air, oxygen, and other mixtures - to the airways through the use of various kinds of equipment, the therapist, under the direction of the physician, treats the diseased or ineffective respiratory system.
Some mechanical aptitude and the ability to perform fine motor movements with hands and fingers are required in learning the operation of specialized equipment. This includes diagnostic apparatus which aids the physician in detecting cardiorespiratory diseases.
Upon successful completion of this program, a student will be able to:
- Achieve the CRT and RRT credentials.
- Demonstrate in the laboratory and clinical setting, the correct procedures for basic Respiratory Therapy treatment modalities.
- Demonstrate in the laboratory and clinical setting, the correct procedures for advanced Respiratory Therapy procedures including manual and mechanical ventilators.
This degree requires the completion of General Education coursework plus the following:
- RESD 102 Theory and Principles of Respiratory Therapy 2
- RESD 104 Respiratory Therapy Science 4
- RESD 106 Pulmonary Anatomy and Physiology 3
- RESD 108 Pharmacology for Respiratory Care 1.5
- RESD 110 Respiratory Therapy Science 4
- RESD 112 Cardiopulmonary Pathophysiology 3
- RESD 114 Comprehensive Pulmonary Assessment 3
- RESD 116 Special Procedures for Respiratory Care 1.5
- RESD 200A Techniques of Respiratory Therapy 2.5
- RESD 200B Techniques of Respiratory Therapy 6
- RESD 202 Adult Respiratory Intensive Care 3
- RESD 204 Neonatal Intensive Care 3
- RESD 200C Techniques of Respiratory Therapy 2.5
- RESD 200D Techniques of Respiratory Therapy 6
- RESD 206 Respiratory Therapeutic Modalities 3
- RESD 208 Current Issues in Respiratory Care 3
Total Units 51