MSc in Biomedical and Molecular Sciences University of Dundee
You'll be taught through a mix of:
- Talks by invited speakers
- Journal clubs
- Demonstrations and practical classes
- Research project with one-to-one training
You'll be assessed through a mixture of coursework and exam-based assessments, including:
- Analysis of research papers, linked to patient case studies
- Oral presentations
- Short answer and essay questions
- Scientific writing exercises
- Poster presentations
- Mock job application
- Data analysis exercises
- Focused research report
These modules are an essential part of your course.
- Cell Biology and Disease (BS51007)
- Molecular Basis of Diseases: Genetics, Epigenetics and Genomics (BS51008)
- Scientific Method and Skills (BS51009)
- Advanced Technology Platforms (BS52007)
- MSc Project Proposal and Associated Skills (BS52008)
- Therapeutics (BS52009)
- MSc Research Project (BS53004)
Research labs in universities and employers in the biotechnology and biopharmaceutical industries expect their postgraduate recruits to have strong, broad-ranging skills. They're looking for people who have advanced technical and communication skills, are confident team-workers, independent researchers, good project managers and are at the leading edge of their specialism. Our courses will help you develop and refine these skill sets alongside your knowledge of the field.
This can help set you on the path to a career in laboratory research, clinical trial coordination, regulatory affairs, lab management, scientific publishing, or bioscience entrepreneurship. You'll develop the attributes needed to continue in academic research or move to work in small and large multinational companies in the biosciences sphere.
Recent graduates have gone on to work in various roles such as laboratory technical specialists, research assistants, microbiologists, and product managers in a range of companies including:
- Q2 Solutions (a clinical laboratory services organisation)
- Wellcome Sanger Institute (a British genomics and genetics research institute)
- Boston Analytical (a pharmaceutical testing lab in the USA)
- CiteAb (a life science data company in England)
Some graduates have also gone on to conduct further academic research as part of a PhD project.