The University of South Florida (USF) is a large, public 4-year university offering undergraduate, graduate, specialist and doctoral level degrees. The USF System includes three, separately accredited institutions: USF; USF St. Petersburg; and USF Sarasota-Manatee. Serving more than 49,000 students, the USF System has an annual budget of $1.6 billion and is ranked 41st in the nation for research expenditures among all universities, public or private. USF prides itself on being a high-impact global research university dedicated to student success. The USF College of Pharmacy (COP) is one of 14 colleges within the USF System. USF COP is part of the USF Health enterprise, which is a partnership of the USF Health is the partnership of the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine, the College of Nursing, the College of Public Health, the College of Pharmacy, the School of Biomedical Sciences and the School of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Sciences; and the Doctors of USF Health. USF Health is an integral part of the University of South Florida, a high-impact, global research university dedicated to student success. In keeping with the mission of the USF COP, which aims to “revolutionize health” USF COP founded the Office of Graduate Programs (OGP). The vision for graduate education at the COP includes developing cutting-edge research training and education including didactic (both online and face-to-face) coursework in several areas of pharmacy, creating a diverse learning environment for students and faculty, and creating advanced learning opportunities using the emerging technologies. The strategic goals of the OGP include:
- to enhance domestic and international recruitment, enrollment, and retention of graduate students that reflect diversity
- to strive to enhance the academic experience of and the quality of life for graduate students
- to pursue research funding and conduct and publish research that leads to opportunities for graduate student success
- to partner with the other USF Colleges and SUS institutions to develop creative initiatives that promote graduate student research
- to serve as a leader in promoting interdisciplinary graduate programs.
Educational programs offered include graduate certificates and a Master’s of Science in Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology. The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) is under development. Points of Pride:
- Dr. Shyam Mohapatra, the founding associate dean of the USF COP Office of Graduate Programs, is an inductee of the FL Inventors Hall of Fame. He was one of six inventors inducted in the inaugural induction ceremony for his contributions to biomedical nanotechnology. This induction places him alongside the ranks of the inventor of air conditioning and refrigeration, inventor of Gatorade, and Thomas Edison.
- The USF System was awarded a record $458.5 million in contracts and grants in the fiscal year 2016.
- The USF system ranks 9th in the nation among public universities and 21st worldwide for granted U.S. patents among all universities according to the Intellectual Property Owners Association/NAI (2015).
- USF Tampa was named one of the Top 100 Best Values in Public Colleges (#66) by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance for 2016.
- The University of South Florida System is home to a student body of nearly 50,000 students representing over 130 different countries.
- U.S. News and World Report (USNWR) ranked USF Tampa as a Best College for Veterans (2016).